Elections shall be held in the state by ballot in person at the Annual Meeting.
- The election of officers shall be by a majority vote. In the event, a second ballot is needed to establish a majority, the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be placed on the second ballot.
- Election of Directors shall be by plurality vote. In the case of a tie, a decision shall be by ballot between the tied candidates and plurality shall elect. In the event of a second tie, a decision shall be by lot.
- The President shall appoint a Tellers Committee with due regard to geographic distribution. The President, Vice President, Treasurer, and two Directors shall be elected in odd-numbered years. The Secretary and three Directors shall be elected in even-numbered years.
[Proviso: State Assemblies with 250 active members or less shall elect the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and one Director in odd-numbered years and shall elect the Secretary and two Directors in even-numbered years.]
The officers are the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- A candidate shall have been an active member for one year immediately preceding nomination and, if elected, shall maintain that active status.
- The required curriculum vitae, consent to serve, and one year of active membership in the state assembly is the only eligibility criteria that will be considered by the Credentials Committee.
[Proviso: The following bylaw is required for all states that have been formed for at least five years unless an exception is approved by the National Board of Directors.]
- A candidate for the office of President shall have served at least one full term as a director or officer during the previous six years on the Board of Directors.
- A candidate for the office of the vice president shall not have served two full terms as president because such a candidate is ineligible to succeed to the office of president.
- The combination of the Secretary/Treasurer position has not been valid since 2010. Each is a separate position.
Source: https://stateassembly.ast.org/ Retrieved 6 July 2021
- The President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall serve for a term of two years.
- All newly elected officers shall assume office at the close of the elections.
- No officer may serve more than two full terms in the same office.
- Any amount of time served that equals more than half a term shall be considered a full term of office.